I hope everyone had a happy holiday this year! This Christmas has been a busy one for me. Still, I managed to sneak in time to make tiramisu for last minute side gifts. I was able to make a tiramisu using a 9×13 baking dish along with four miniature jam jars, or mason jars.
I made everything the same way that the original recipe called for with the exception of matcha mascarpone filling. This is my first time making tiramisu with alcohol and I must say that the Baileys gave a huge kick in flavour. I love the espresso-matcha combination and I hope you enjoy!
This recipe makes a 9×13 cake.
6 egg yolks
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 pound mascarpone cheese
1/2 cup espresso (room temp)
1/3 cup water (room temp)
50ml coffee liquor (optional, I used Baileys)
2tbs matcha powder (more for dusting)
2 package lady fingers
Procedure for tiramisu:
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together, then pour it into a small saucepan.
- Over medium heat, whisk in the milk. Bring it to a boil for 1 minute while stirring constantly. Let it cool, then cover it and let it chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Whisk the cream until stiff peaks form.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk the egg mixture and matcha powder together. Then mix in the mascarpone.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mascarpone egg mixture until well combined and set aside.
- Combine the espresso, water and coffee liquor.
- Dip the lady fingers into the espresso and quickly pull the lady finger out. Do not drench the fingers.
- Put a layer of dipped lady fingers to form the base.
- Then spread a layer of mascarpone filling.
- Next dust a layer of matcha powder on top of the layer of mascarpone.
- Repeat the layering and the cake is done! Cover and chill the cake overnight.
Recipe adapted from All Recipes.